- 1989 - 2015 : Member of the Advisory Board (“Beirat”) of the "Bund für Lebensmittelrecht und Lebensmittelkunde" (Federation of Food Legislation and Food Science of the German Food Industry).
- Since 2013 : Advisory Board member of the “CALM” project, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Advisor to the “International Foundation of Science” (IFS), Stockholm, Sweden.
- Since 1988 : Member of the German Society on Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture Research (ATSAF).
- Since 2003 : Honorary Member of the Hungarian Society of Microbiology.
Teaching : Around 40 years experience in teaching and research in basic and various fields of applied microbiology, including Food Microbiology, Food Hygiene and Industrial Microbiology.
Leader/Advisor for around 120 Master’s and PhD students.
Major Research Interests: Lactic acid bacteria, probiotics, food microbiology, food safety and food biotechnology, gut microbiota.
Publications: > 330 scientific papers, 70 chapters in scientific textbooks; editor/co-editor of 8 scientific textbooks